Tuesday, September 16, 2008

My letter regarding McKids--one year later

As I read Diane's post about the McKids and how much has happened in a year--it brought to mind some of the other moments that I (and we) experienced with them....both good and bad--but all of them emotionally moving...

I remember the first moment that I met Goliath and he crawled up my chest, nestled in my neck and decided that I was going to be his forever Mama.

I remember when Pippy (now Pippin) would latch on to my finger or toe and for a while, I couldn't figure out why I was the only one she bit--until it dawned on me, that she was trying to carry me off--under the bed, under the dresser--because Mama was her favorite toy.

I remember the first time that Dudelee (now Krechure) was brave enough to crawl up my back (I was lying on the floor trying to look as harmless as possible) and stick his nose in my ear.

I remember Levi (now Oscar) biting me to the bone --and trying calmly to get Diane off the phone (she was facing the window and didn't see what happened) as he war danced in a puddle of my blood (which other than feeling bad about the stress he was obviously under, I still find kinda funny)

I remember the first time I was able to pick up Levi without leaving a blood trail while I ran for the band aids.I remember watching their fur turn soft and healthy and watching their eyes come alive.

I remember finding Twitch on the stairs and him looking up like "oh, Hi Mama--what's happening?" (I'm still not sure how he got out of the room and ended up having to bungee cord the martin playpen we used for his cage, closed)

I remember giving Turbo kisses and him deciding that I needed a lip piercing --and having to ask for help to pry him off (by the way--he still tries that with me--for some reason, he likes the way Auntie tastes. LOL)

I remember sitting in the room at the Emergency Vet with Goliath--thanking him for coming into my life and telling him how much I loved him--and telling him that I would see him at the Bridge.

I remember Blazor walking in the grass behind the vets office right before Diane and I made the painful but necessary decision to let him go--and he stopped one last time, lifted his head up and turned around to make sure that we were still behind him.

Every moment is burned into my heart and I feel blessed that these kids came into our lives. It wasn't easy, but it was worth it!!

No comments: